Thursday 30 December 2010

Powys Planning Department's answer to critical Agents

I have heard that Powys Council is at last responding to ongoing complaints from planning agents who according to Glyn Davies MP's blog are thoroughly "p....d off" with the Council's Planning Department for the treatment they receive from Powys. What this means is that Powys planners require that Agents submit a copious amount of technical information with planning applications. Glyn states that "developers remain incandescent with anger, fuelled they tell me by delay and unreasonableness." He also suggests that things will blow up between agents and planners next year - a revolution perhaps?!

But Agents operating over in Shropshire, I am told, also have a difficult time. Planning has become increasingly complex over the last few years - unfortunately, small time agents (or architects pretending they know planning)have been unable to raise their game. I see that Powys has introduced a Local Requirements List - explaining the standard it requires in terms of documents that must accompany planning applications. It is really up to agents - who charge clients excessive fees anyway - to ensure that applications are of an acceptable standard.

Powys is now about to introduce an Agents Accreditation Scheme whereby agents who prove that they can submit decent applications on at least three successive occasions will thenceforth be given a "light touch" from the planners. I wonder whether the introduction of the scheme at this point (given the threats of revolution) isn't a little bit insensitive. Mind you Cllr Wynne Jones Portfolio Cabinet Member for Planning was never one for currying favour! Shame he hasn't investigated agents' concerns in a structured way and insisted changes at least in attitude.

Speaking to an experienced Council planner operating in the south of the County, he acknowledges that there has been a breakdown in relationships between agents and planners but that this "bad feeling" is largely confined to that part of the planning department operating out of the Welshpool offices where there is a culture of speed of decision-making rather than a culture where quality of decisions is paramount (which helps substantiate concerns expressed by agents active in Glyn Davies' Montgomery constituency). I can see the merit in ensuring that planning applications contain all the information that is necessary to ensure that a quality decision can be made and for this to be presented upfront rather than during the application process when local residents begin challenging the quality of information submitted. What is difficult to understand is why the apparent differences in approach between the various planning authorities - both sides of the border. Has Glyn Davies checked with other authorities - but more to the point, has Cllr Wynne Jones?

It will be interesting to see how many Agents obtain Accreditation. Will Powys be offering medals to those successful agents - they can even be called "The Wynne Jones Excellence Star"! Agents can then meet up with their prospective clients wearing that coveted medal - oh yes, and add a further 10% to their fees! Powys County Council might be missing a trick here - they could charge agents for being Accredited!

2 comments:

  1. Your observations only touch the surface of the problems being experienced by planning agents and architects as they try to work with Powys County Council. My experience is typical and goes something like this: before submitting applications I phone the Planning Department and ask to speak to a planner - invariably nobody picks up the phone and when they do, it is a clerk who politely tells me that no one is available right now but if I'd leave a message, the planner will phone back. They seldom do so I again phone and if lucky I might get through to an officer. I am usually told that they are too busy for a meeting but would be happy to look at any plans that I send through the post. I send them in but receive no reply and so it goes on. At this point my client is aggravated. Once or twice they have reluctantly agreed to see me. This is usually with a junior officer who is unable to advise me on the suitability of the project and does not offer any advice about the information pack I need to submit. I relay this back to my client who is now very angry. I lodge the application and two weeks later I receive a request for further information. I am not stupid - I have checked the web site for information requirements and am in any event experienced of work both in Powys and in neighbouring Boroughs. It takes several attempts and eventually my application is registered. It is then refused without any reference back to me as agent so that I can put things right. All very nice for performance tables but does nothing for me as a customer and even worse for my client who thinks I'm an idiot and promptly refuses to pay my bill and goes to another agent. Luckily I have other projects lodged with other Councils which are successful and I continue to offer a good service for my clients.
    Communication is key here - in the case of Powys it is a complete lack of communication and an unwillingness on the part of officers to properly advise me as agent. I accept your comment that agents should raise their game and we have - this is clearly the case as we just do not get the same service from other council planning departments and our applications are generally acceptable to those authorities.
    In our view there does seem to be a lack of experienced personnel at Powys County Council. Planning as you say is a complex subject but this is made far worse with the bureacracy and attitude of officials.
    I share Glyn Davies's concerns and nobody at Powys is willing to sort things out. I have attended workshop meetings between planners and agents in the past - these were quite good but was more of officers speaking down to agents rather than a shared dialogue. Maybe Councillor Wynne Jones who I know quite well can insist that these workshops take place on a regular basis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask after allowing this comment to be published, have you not approached the County Council's Chief Executive or Cabinet Member about the issue. I think you have a lot to say that could lead to the kind of improvements you now crave for. Remaining silent and anonymous is not helpful.

    ReplyDelete